Welcome Week Leaders are a team of volunteers who help to create a welcoming and inclusive environment during Welcome Week. Welcome Week focuses on providing a quality transitional experience for new students and helps new students prepare for their life at the U of M through planning, exploring campus, building community, and participating in campus traditions. All students are encouraged to apply to be Welcome Week Leaders, even if they haven't lived or taken classes on campus. We will provide you with all the necessary training to help WWLs lead new students.
- Create a welcoming and inclusive environment for new first-year students.
- Facilitate activities and discussions with small groups of students during Welcome Week.
- Comfort with in-person responsibilities during Welcome Week Leader Training and Welcome Week
- Exemptions based on leader needs can be made
- Promote participation in Welcome Week activities
- Participate in the Spring Welcome Week Leader Celebration on May 1, 2023 from 5:00PM-7:00PM
- Complete summer Welcome Week Leader Training from August 25-29
Reports to: Assistant Director For Welcome Week & Student Leadership
- Deepen awareness of your own strengths and leadership style.
- Practice inclusive communication and facilitation strategies for building connections and community.
- Increase awareness of the unique transition needs of students from a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences
- Develop tolerance of ambiguity and critical decision-making ability in a complex environment.
- Explore new knowledge about the University campus, community, and resources.
- Make connections with other student leaders on campus
- Receive training on topics such as small group facilitation, campus resources, inclusion, and leadership development
- Receive five unique WWL t-shirts and other fun swag
- Selected meals provided during training and Welcome Week program
- Parking during August training and program for leaders traveling greater than one (1) mile to campus
- Support the incoming Class of 2027 and Transfer Students as they transition to the University
- Cumulative GPA of 2.3 or higher
- Enrolled full time (13 credits) as an undergraduate student through Fall 2023 semester
- Good judicial standing with Office of Community Standards and Housing & Residential Life
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability to work independently, think critically and be adaptable to situations
*All dates, times, and responsibilities listed below are subject to change based on University’s COVID response plan
- Wednesday, March 22 WWL Applications Open
- Monday, May 1 WWL Celebration
- Thursday, May 4 WWL Applications Are Due
- Friday, August 25 WWL Training
- Saturday, August 26 WWL Training
- Sunday, August 27 WWL Training
- Monday, August 28 WWL Training
- Tuesday, August 29 WWL Training
- Wednesday, August 30 - Monday, September 4 (varying hours daily) Welcome Week
Welcome Week Leader Applications are now open!
Interested in being a 2023 Welcome Week Leader? Contact [email protected] with any questions you may have.