Welcome Week Leader
Applications to be a 2021 Welcome Week Leader will be availble in March 2021.
WWL Roles & Responsibilities
- Create a welcoming and inclusive environment for new first-year students.
- Facilitate activities and discussions with small groups of students.
- Promote participation in Weeks of Welcome
- Deepen awareness of your own strengths and leadership style.
- Practice inclusive communication and facilitation strategies for building connections and community.
- Increase mindfulness and appreciation of diverse perspectives, backgrounds, philosophies, and cultures.
- Develop tolerance of ambiguity and critical decision-making ability in a complex environment.
- Explore new knowledge about the University campus, community and resources.
Compensation and Benefits
- The WWL position is a volunteer position.
- T-shirts and other freebies will be provided during Weeks of Welcome
WWLs are expected to commit to the following training and program time commitments in order to remain eligible for the position. Exemptions to these time commitments are rare and will only be considered for extenuating circumstances.
2020 Weeks of Welcome Time Commitments
● April 24th: Virtual WWL Conference
● August 27th-August 31st: WWL Prep Training Weekend
● September 1st-September 6th: 2021 Welcome Week (varying hours)
WWLs will be assigned to host a Welcome Week small group if they meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate student in good academic standing (at, or above a 2.3 GPA) and judicial standing with the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity and Housing & Residential Life for the duration of the WWL experience.
- Complete the WWL application.
- Complete all online leadership development tasks by stated deadlines.
- Attend and participate actively in trainings.
- Meet the expectations of the WWL role and responsibilities.
WWL Open House
Want to learn more? Join us for the virtual Welcome Week Leader Open House on March 30th from 5pm-6pm. Feel free to stop in any time to have your questions answered a meet other interested Welcome Week Leaders! You can join at https://z.umn.edu/WWLOpenHouse21
Call 612-624-1979 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the WWL role.