Welcome Week Leader
Applications to be a WWL are now open. Click HERE to apply!
What will you be doing?
WWL Roles & Responsibilities
- Create a welcoming and inclusive environment for new first-year students.
- Facilitate activities and discussions with small groups of students.
- Promote participation in Welcome Week.
- Assist with residence hall move in.
- Support the logistics of the Welcome Week program
What will you get out of it?
- Deepen awareness of your own strengths and leadership style.
- Practice inclusive communication and facilitation strategies for building connections and community.
- Increase mindfulness and appreciation of diverse perspectives, backgrounds, philosophies, and cultures.
- Develop tolerance of ambiguity and critical decision-making ability in a complex environment.
- Explore new knowledge about the University campus, community and resources.
Compensation and Benefits
- The WWL position is a volunteer position.
- Free registration for the WWL Conference on April 4th
- Meals will be provided during August training and throughout Welcome Week.
- Parking will be covered during spring and August training and throughout Welcome Week for those commuting from more than 1 mile off campus.
- T-shirts and other freebies will be provided during Welcome Week.
WWLs are expected to commit to the following training and program time commitments in order to remain eligible for the position. Exemptions to these time commitments are rare and will only be considered for extenuating circumstances.
In 2018 OTE created the first WWL Conference during the Spring semester to focus on building community within the WWL role, developing personal leadership skills, and kick-starting the WWL experience. This year’s conference will take place on April 4 from 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. in Coffman Memorial Union.
Former WWLs are encouraged to serve in the role again! If you have been a WWL previously, you are still required to attend the WWL Leadership Conference and summer training to be eligible for the role.
Welcome Week Leader Prep Weekend
Prep weekend training is focused on continued leadership development. It prepares WWLs for the logistics and specific events and activities of Welcome Week.
- Friday, August 28 - Monday, August 31, 2020 (Approx. hours 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.)
During Welcome Week, each WWL works with a partner to host a small group of new first-year students.
- Tuesday, September 1 – Monday, September 7, 2020 (Approx. hours 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.)
WWLs will be assigned to host a Welcome Week small group if they meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate student in good academic standing (at, or above a 2.3 GPA) and judicial standing with the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity and Housing & Residential Life for the duration of the WWL experience.
- Complete the WWL application by the stated deadline.
- On March 1 applicants will be notified if they have been selected as a 2020 WWL. Those selected will be invited to register for and attend the WWL Conference on March 30.
- Complete all online leadership development tasks by stated deadlines.
- Attend and participate actively in Prep Weekend trainings.
- Meet the expectations of the WWL role and responsibilities.
Call 612-624-1979 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the WWL role.