Welcome Week Leaders are a team of volunteers who help to create a welcoming and inclusive environment during Welcome Week. Welcome Week focuses on providing a quality transitional experience for new students and helps new students prepare for their life at the U of M through planning, exploring campus, building community, and participating in campus traditions. All students are encouraged to apply to be Welcome Week Leaders, even if they haven't lived or taken classes on campus. We will provide you with all the necessary training to help WWLs lead new students.
- Create a welcoming and inclusive environment for new first-year students.
- Facilitate activities and discussions with small groups of students during Welcome Week.
- Comfort with in-person responsibilities during Welcome Week Leader Training and Welcome Week
- Exemptions based on leader needs can be made
- Promote participation in Welcome Week activities
- Participate in the Spring Welcome Week Leader Conference on April 24
- Complete summer Welcome Week Leader Training from August 27-31
Reports to: Evan Witt, Assistant Director of Student Leadership and Development & Jason Castillo, Student Leadership Intern
- Deepen awareness of your own strengths and leadership style.
- Practice inclusive communication and facilitation strategies for building connections and community.
- Increase awareness of the unique transition needs of students from a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences
- Develop tolerance of ambiguity and critical decision-making ability in a complex environment.
- Explore new knowledge about the University campus, community, and resources.
COVID-19 Program Plan
Plans for Welcome Week 2021 are being developed to offer an in-person experience in alignment with recommendations from the Minnesota Department of Health and the University of Minnesota COVID protocols. It is also likely that some students will prefer or require a virtual experience and we will need some leaders that may serve in a fully virtual role. As students apply to this position, we will not require any student to deliver in-person responsibilities beyond their comfort levels. The modality of the program is subject to change and will be communicated with leaders throughout the process. Please see dates and details below.
- Make connections with other student leaders on campus
- Receive training on topics such as small group facilitation, campus resources, inclusion, and leadership development
- Receive five unique WWL t-shirts and other fun swag
- Selected meals provided during training and Welcome Week program
- Parking during August training and program for leaders traveling greater than one (1) mile to campus
- Support the incoming Class of 2025 and Transfer Students as they transition to the University
- Cumulative GPA of 2.3 or higher
- Enrolled full time (13 credits) as an undergraduate student through Fall 2021 semester
- Good judicial standing with Office of Community Standards and Housing & Residential Life
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability to work independently, think critically and be adaptable to situations
*All dates, times, and responsibilities listed below are subject to change based on University’s COVID response plan
- Wednesday, March 17 WWL Applications Open
- Wednesday, March 31 WWL Application Closes
- Thursday April 15 WWL Notification
- Saturday, April 24, 10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. WWL Conference (Virtual)
Summer 2021 (all days planned to be in-person, subject to change)
- Friday, August 27 WWL Training
- Saturday, August 28 WWL Training
- Sunday, August 29 WWL Training
- Monday, August 30 WWL Training
- Tuesday, August 31 WWL Training
- Wednesday, September 1-Monday, September 6 (varying hours daily) Welcome Week