The mission of the Orientation and Transition Experiences office is to support students in their transition to the U of M, by offering high-quality, dynamic experiences. Although we wish we could be in community with each other for our Orientations, we have chosen to prioritize everyone’s safety and will be implementing virtual orientation programming. As usual, we are committed to providing supportive and dynamic orientation programming within this new model.
Freshman Orientation is required of all new students. In November, once you have confirmed your enrollment, you will receive information from your college about completing your New Student Checklist and selecting an Orientation date.
This Orientation requirement has two major components:
- Orientation Prep Course via Canvas: The goal of the Orientation Prep Course is to provide you with valuable information about University resources and services, and about your college of enrollment. Your advisor will reference the information you learn in the Orientation Prep Course during your Orientation. You must complete your this course and pass the college content quiz with a score of 80% to attend your Orientation.
- Orientation: At Orientation, you will meet with your college and your academic advisor and register for spring 2021 courses. Your Orientation schedule and assigned Zoom links will be found on the Orientation Hub. The schedule information populates approximately 48 hours before your Orientation.
By participating in Orientation, you will
- Understand the academic and community expectations of a University of Minnesota student.
- Feel more prepared to transition into the University.
- Become acquainted with the resources available to University of Minnesota students.
- Meet with an academic advisor and register for spring courses.
- Have a better understanding of the University of Minnesota student experience.