Welcome Week Intern
Applications are now closed for this position. If you have any questions about Welcome Week opportunities please contact email@example.com
The Welcome Week Logistics Intern helps to manage operational components for the Orientation & Transition Experiences Welcome Week program. It is essential that the individual hired for this position has exceptional interpersonal skills, customer service skills, previous leadership experience, and can work autonomously and with a team. This person will be an integral member of the Welcome Week leadership team and will report to the Assistant Director of Welcome Week to assist with the planning, training components, and execution of the Welcome Week program.
- Support initial event planning meetings with campus partners
- Review debrief and evaluation feedback from prior year’s program
- Participate in and attend Welcome Week Advisory Board meetings
- Support Leadership Intern with preparing and implementing Spring Welcome Week Leader Conference
- Support the Leadership Intern in recruitment efforts of Orientation Leaders, Transfer Student Leaders, and Welcome Week Leaders
- Assist with managing Welcome Week attendance to include major Welcome Week events such as Check-In, Pride & Spirit, Convocation, Football Game, Mall of America, and other events/sessions.
- Manage Welcome Week Leader Board with support from Assistant Director of Welcome Week
- Support off-campus/commuter student track within Welcome Week by distributing parking and meal tickets to Welcome Week participants at indicated times.
- Assist in creating, updating, and promoting content within the Welcome Week App.
- Assist with Event Selection and Welcome Week assessment testing.
- Provide administrative support for the Welcome Week program,
- Collaborates with Leadership Intern to prepare program training materials including Snapshots, In-Depths (IDs) and Unit Descriptions (UDs).
- Provide support for Welcome Week events, specifically Welcome Week Check-in, and other events as assigned. This includes, but is not limited to, troubleshooting and providing oversight of events, etc.
- Following the Welcome Week program, assist with 10th Day attendance reporting, evaluation coding, inventory of supplies, and other program wrap-up.
- Assist in creating Welcome Week group assignments, including off-campus group assignments, and leader task assignments for logistics-heavy events (New Student Convocation, etc.);
- Support Assistant Director of Welcome Week in developing rotational grids for various tracks within the Welcome Week program.
- Manage Welcome Week headquarters and delivery day in partnership with the Orientation Program Assistants (OPAs), utilizing OPA and sign grids.
- Support OL and WWL training as necessary to help train OLs and WWLs about Welcome Week logistics.
- Attends regular Welcome Week Team Meetings to provide updates and stay informed about programmatic changes.
- Collaborate with Leadership Intern to update training materials, provide training to Orientation Leaders and Welcome Week Leaders, and ensure all programmatic content is updated.
- Serve as a positive representative of the University and Orientation & Transition Experiences.
- Pursue a supporting role in maintaining front desk operations, including answering phone calls
- Complete other projects/tasks as assigned.
- Balancing academic responsibilities with the requirements of the position
- Four semesters of completed coursework at university/college level
- Previous leadership experience
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher to be maintained throughout employment and reviewed each semester
- Enrolled full time (13 credits) as a student through Spring 2021 semester, and not enrolling in Summer 2021 courses
- This person has multitasking and strong organizational skills, and has a very strong aptitude for detailed information.
- Demonstrated time management skills
- Can positively receive and utilize constructive feedback
- Ability to receive and delegate tasks
- Availability during the Spring, Summer, and Fall to fill the required hours of the position
- Not planning to study abroad before September 7, 2021 and will not graduate prior to December 2021
- Prior experiences as a Welcome Week Leader, Orientation Leader, Transfer Student Leader, or other OTE office experience preferred.
- Strong organizational, administrative, customer service, and leadership skills including the ability to effectively communicate, utilize spreadsheets, delegate tasks, and work to develop a team.
- Self-motivated and possesses a desire to work in a flexible team and focused atmosphere.
- The ideal candidate demonstrates initiative, is punctual, reliable and consistent, approachable, positive, friendly and has a proactive customer service philosophy.
- They have a team-oriented attitude, can demonstrate problem-solving skills, can adapt to changing situations and details.
- Display strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills and the potential to develop these skills.
- Demonstrated time-management skills and flexibility, and ability to motivate self and others.
- Ability to work well independently, as well as with a diverse staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion.