Orientation Leader (OL)
Applications for 2021 Orientation Leaders are now available. Please see the below position description and you can apply below:
About the Role
Orientation Leaders are responsible for creating a welcoming and inclusive environment during New Student Orientation and Welcome Week. Both programs focus on providing a quality transitional experience for new students. Additionally, the Orientation Leaders work as a team to recruit and prepare a volunteer team of 350 Welcome Week Leaders. All full position description can be found above. Historically, Orientation Leaders have worked as full-time, in person staff throughout the summer. For the summer of 2021 this position will be a part-time, remote working opportunity in June/July with in person responsibilities for Welcome Week.
*For the summer of 2021 OTE will not be hiring Transfer Student Leaders and the Orientation Leader team will be working with both incoming Freshman and Transfer students. Therefore Transfer students are highly encouraged to apply to be 2021 Orientation Leaders.
Remote Work Plan
Due to COVID-19, this position will provide a remote working opportunity. Students will be expected to provide their own technology which includes a working microphone and video function to be able to participate in and host group meetings on Zoom. Alternate arrangements can be made pending the approval of the supervisor and technology support can be provided to fulfill job requirements. Contingent on the University of Minnesota’s plan for campus events, there is potential for in person responsibilities during the Welcome Week program. Please see dates and details below.
- Register and complete OUE3311: Leadership Development for University Student Leaders which is a one-credit, B-Term training course meeting from 3:30pm-5:30pm on Wednesday between March 10 and April 28
- Supervise and train a group of 10-15 Welcome Week Leaders during the Spring Welcome Week Leader Conference on April 17th
- Complete summer training from June 1-June 4 approximately 9am-5pm daily
- Host daily Transitioning to College sessions for first-year students during Freshman Orientation
- Host daily Transitioning to the U sessions for Transfer students during Transfer Orientation
- Complete Welcome Week Training from August 23-26
- Supervise and Train a group of 10-15 Welcome Week Leaders for Welcome Week Leader Prep Weekend from August 27-August 31st and throughout the Welcome Week program from September 1-September 6
- Provide programmatic support to the Welcome Week Program
- Cumulative GPA of 2.3 or higher to be maintained throughout employment and reviewed each semester
- Enrolled full time (13 credits) as a student through Fall 2021 semester
- Not enrolled in classes past 3:15pm on Wednesday nights during the Spring semester starting March 10th
- Not planning to study abroad before September 7, 2021 and will not graduate prior to December 2021
- Employees must reside in the United States during term of employment
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Demonstrated awareness of self and others
- Can positively receive and utilize constructive feedback
- Ability to think critically and be adaptable to situations
- Ability to work independently
- Prior presentation experiences
- Strong organizational, administrative, customer service, and leadership skills including the ability to effectively communicate
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment while delivering high quality work along a specific set of deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively within a team and with supervisors
- Self-motivated and possesses a desire to work in a flexible team and focused atmosphere
*All dates and times listed below are subject to change based on the University's COVID response plan
OLs participate in training on issues such as facilitation, peer supervision, equity and diversity, sexual violence and health, conflict management, communication skills, and a variety of other leadership topics. The goal of training is to support and challenge OLs as they develop the leadership and facilitation skills needed for the position. OLs will also be responsible for the recruitment and training of the Welcome Week Leaders during the Spring.
- Wednesday meetings from 3:30-5:30 p.m., March 10-April 28
- Welcome Week Leader Conference on April 24 (paid hourly)
OLs are expected to attend daily summer training on program logistics prior to Orientation and again prior to Welcome Week. These training sessions focus on presenting specific workshops, leading campus tours, understanding University policies, and becoming more knowledgeable about various organizations and resources on campus.
- Summer Training: June 1-June 4 (approx. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily)
- Freshman Orientation: June 2-July 9 and August 25-27 (approx. 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m)
- Welcome Week Training: August 20-21 (approx. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily, potentially in person)
- Welcome Week Leader Prep Week: August 27-August 31 (Training times are to be determined and may take place in person based on program structure decisions)
- Welcome Week: September 1-September 6 (varying schedules of at least 20 hours per week and upwards of 40+ hours. May take place in person based on program structure decisions)
Orientation Leaders will be paid $12.00 per hour during summer responsibilities starting June 1. Hours for this job will vary at certain times of the year.
Application and Selection process
The schedule for the selection process is below.
- All applicants must attend a required information session before submitting an application. Register for an Information Session.
- Applications are due at 8:59pm on February 3rd
- After receiving applications, candidates will be invited to submit a first-round FlipGrid interview which will be due February 7th. Details will be provided via email to all candidates.
- Applications will be reviewed and students moving forward will be invited to participate in an individual Zoom interview. Interviews will take place from February 15-26.
- Students who are offered a position will be notified on March 3, 2021 and will be expected to attend the first OUE3311 class on March 10, 2021.
All applicants will be required to attend an information session about the Orientation Leader position. Information Session Registration
- Friday, January 22 10am-11am and 4pm-5pm z.umn.edu/JasonCastillo
- Monday, January 25 10am-11am z.umn.edu/JasonCastillo
- Tuesday, January 26 12pm-1pm at z.umn.edu/evanwitt
- Thursday, January 28 10am-11am z.umn.edu/JasonCastillo
- Friday, January 29 10am-11am z.umn.edu/JasonCastillo
- Monday, February 1 1pm-2pm at z.umn.edu/evanwitt
- Tuesday, February 2 10am-11am z.umn.edu/JasonCastillo
- Wednesday, February 3 3:30pm-4:30pm at z.umn.edu/evanwitt
For questions, email email@example.com