Orientation Leader (OL)
The OL Application is closed. You can check your application status at 2020 Orientation Leader application
Orientation Leaders are responsible for administering a successful New Student Orientation and Welcome Week. Both programs focus on providing a quality transitional experience for new students. Additionally, the Orientation Leaders work as a team to recruit and prepare a volunteer team of 350 Welcome Week Leaders.
New Student Orientation will occur on various dates between June 2-July 10 and August 21-27, 2020. The role of the Orientation Leaders is to lead groups of new first-year students and their parents/guests and to educate them on campus resources and student life issues as part of their transition to the University.
Welcome Week is September 2-September 7, 2020 and is the second step in a first-year student's transition. First-Year students will move/come to campus and participate in programming to assist in their transition to the University. OLs train and supervise the Welcome Week Leaders and staff Welcome Week events.
Continuing students must be in good academic standing, at, or above a 2.3 GPA. New students will be allowed to apply with no GPA on record. Graduate students and students studying abroad with departure date prior to September 6, 2020, and students graduating in May 2020 are not eligible to apply.
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are selected based on their ability to work well with others, communicate effectively, and commit to a rigorous schedule. OLs must display public relations skills and maturity of judgment. Additionally, OLs need to have patience, flexibility, strong organizational skills, and be willing and ready to learn. They should be resourceful and capable of assuming a leadership position with little supervision.
*All dates are subject to change.
OLs participate in training on issues such as facilitation, peer supervision, equity and diversity, sexual violence and health, conflict management, communication skills, and a variety of other leadership topics. The goal of training is to support and challenge OLs as they develop the leadership and facilitation skills needed for the position. OLs will also be responsible for the recruitment and training of the Welcome Week Leaders during the Spring.
- Winter Retreat, January 24-26, 2020
- Wednesday meetings from 3:30-7:30 p.m., January 22-May 6
- Welcome Week Training Sessions in Spring 2020
OLs are expected to attend daily summer training on program logistics prior to Orientation and again prior to Welcome Week. These training sessions focus on presenting specific workshops, leading campus tours, understanding University policies, and becoming more knowledgeable about various organizations and resources on campus.
- Residence Hall Move-In: May 17
- Summer Training: May 17-June 1 (approx. 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. daily)
- Freshman Orientation: June 2-July 10 and August 21-27 (approx. 7:30 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.)
- Welcome Week Training: August 21-27 (approx. 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. daily)
- Welcome Week Leader Prep Week: August 28-September 1 (approx. 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. daily)
- Welcome Week: September 2-September 7 (approx. 8 a.m. - 12 a.m. daily)
The following will be expected of OLs during New Student Orientation:
- Present to large audiences of new students.
- Facilitate small group discussions.
- Participate in Pieces of the Puzzle theatrical production.
- Support the logistics of the orientation program.
- Live in a University Residence Hall from May 17-July 10. (this may change)
The following will be expected of OLs during Welcome Week:
- Prepare & implement training for Welcome Week Leaders.
- Plan and oversee Welcome Week Prep Week activities and projects.
- Attend Welcome Week and provide support to staff and activities.
- Present to large audiences of new students.
$4,000, plus room and board May 17 - July 10, 2020
Application and Selection process
Eligible applicants will go through a three-tiered selection process. The schedule for the selection process is below.
- Applications are due at 11:59pm on Wednesday, October 30th.
- Applications will be reviewed and students moving forward will be invited to participate in a group interview. This notification will take place on November 7, 2019 and group interviews will be on November 10 and 12, 2019.
- Students moving on from the group interview round will be invited to participate in an individual and college interview to take place between November 16-December 10. Students selected for an individual and college interview will be notified on November 15, 2019.
- Students selected to be a 2020 Orientation Leader will be notified on December 12, 2019.
- Join us at the Orientation Leader Open House on October 15 from 6pm-7:30pm in Tate 105. This will be a great opportunity to learn more about the position in person with previous Orientation Leaders.
Call 612-624-1979 or email firstname.lastname@example.org