The Office Assistant plays a crucial role in our office. The responsibilities of this position include receptionist and information referral point for new students, parents, office staff and University departments.
The Office Assistant supports Orientation & Transition Experiences by professionally communicating with incoming students, parents, and campus contacts via email, chat, and telephone, using Salesforce to track and respond to all contacts with our office, and completing other duties as assigned. Orientation & Transition Experiences is currently operating remotely, but in the event that campus operations resume in-person, the Office Assistant will also be responsible for greeting and assisting guests of the office and maintaining office organization and cleanliness.
This position will, in addition to the duties above, offer support in one of the following areas:
- Manage and maintain front desk operations, including answering phone calls, emails, and live chats.
- Use Salesforce to track and organize all contacts made with Orientation & Transition Experiences.
- Offer support and assistance to professional staff through engagement in various projects.
- Stay up-to-date with specific details of Orientation and Welcome Week programming to communicate to students and families.
- Balance academic responsibilities with the requirements of the position.
- Attend two all student staff professional development trainings per semester (Oct-Apr)
- Attend a bi-weekly Office Assistant check-in meeting with the full OA team and regular supervisor one-on-one check-ins.
The position reports to Maddie Portnoy, Operations Specialist
- Enrolled as an undergraduate student at the University of Minnesota and be in good academic standing;
- Availability during the Spring, Summer, and Fall of 2021 to fill the required hours of the position;
- Self-motivated, adaptable, and dependable;
- Strong organizational skills and strategic thinking;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Proven ability to communicate in a professional manner, both verbally and in writing;
- Strong aptitude for retaining detailed information;
- Interest in helping new students and families transition to the University of Minnesota;
- Willing to learn about the people, resources, services, opportunities, and policies at the University of Minnesota
- Past Orientation & Transition Experiences student leader and/or employee
- The Office Assistant is paid $11.50 per hour. The Office Assistant can anticipate working 6-8 hours per week during the Spring semester for training and onboarding, 10-15 hours per week during the Summer, and 10-15 hours per week during the academic year.
Remote Work Plan
- The primary plan for this position is to work remotely during the Spring 2021 semester. This position will also have access to a workplace issued computer which can be used remotely. Plans for the Summer and Fall of 2021 will be determined in alignment with the University’s distance learning policies in response to COVID-19. In the event that campus operations resume in-person, the Office Assistant will be expected to be available to work in the Orientation & Transition Experiences office located in Coffman Memorial Union.
Applicants must include a resume and a Spring semester course schedule.
The deadline to apply is Friday, February 19 at 11:59 pm.