Orientation & Transition Experiences (OTE) is seeking a Digital Media and Marketing intern to help strengthen OTE’s presence in the areas of social media and student transition communication, as well as manage marketing projects with external partners.
- Grow social media presence through assisting in the development of an OTE social media strategy;
- Develop strategies for capturing target audience engagement;
- Conceptualize, create, and publish regularly occurring content that enhances the student transition experience and encourages engagement;
- Collaborate with OTE professional staff and student interns to determine appropriate content;
- Maintain social media profiles such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook Page & Groups;
- Produce stories and create social media graphics; in collaboration with the Design Intern
- Assist in facilitating social media marketing opportunities (photo booths, etc.);
- Collect analytics and/or create reports to update professional staff of activities and outcomes;
- Attend in person events to produce content for social media feeds.
Student Transition Communications
- Assist with the creation, delivery, and tracking of content via the Gopher Transitions App;
- Solicit, collect, and organize resource and event content for monthly Class Newsletters;
- Create and facilitate transition-focused content to be shared in newsletters
Marketing and Vendor Support
- Solicit Explore U participants during spring semester and summer;
- Assist in coordinating and implementing Explore U;
- Solicit restaurants for student/leader/staff meals during programs and assist the Welcome Week and Orientation interns in coordinating meals during welcome programs;
- Offer support and assistance to professional staff through engagement in various projects
This position reports to Chad Sewich, Assistant Director, Communications & Marketing
- Enrolled as an undergraduate student at the University of Minnesota and be in good academic standing;
- An understanding and interest in strategic communication, storytelling, and enhancing the new student experience through effective communication;
- Strong functional knowledge of social media principles, practices, and the desire to apply that knowledge in a professional environment;
- A strong interest in emerging social media and a desire to learn more about interactive technology and new media;
- Ability to learn and adhere to university brand standards and divisional marketing practices;
- An interest in tracking and documenting analytics of all these technologies in order to understand trends and impact;
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, be a creative problem solver, be detailed and organized, and have a conceptual aptitude;
- Willingness and ability to research and learn about concepts or technologies needed to be successful in this position
- Knowledge of Orientation & Transition Experience programming, including Orientation, Welcome Week, and Student Transition Experiences;
- Previous experience or coursework related to organizational or professional communications
The Digital Media Intern will maintain a schedule of 10-15 hours per week through the academic year and 15-20 hours in the summer.
This position works primarily in the Orientation & Transition Experiences office located in Coffman Memorial Union.
The Digital Media Intern is paid $15.50 per hour.
This application is currently closed.
In the application, you will be asked to answer two short essays and upload supplemental information. The prompts for these sections of the application are:
- Describe your interest in the Digital Media Intern position and any experiences you have that will contribute to your success (300-word limit).
- How do you think Digital Media (social media, apps, etc.) can enhance a student's transition to the University? (300-word limit)
- Upload your Current Resume
- Upload 2-3 examples of engaging social/digital media materials (images, posts, videos, etc.) you have created. All work should be saved in one document; providing links to relevant items is acceptable.
Within the application, you can save your progress and return to it any time.