Wednesday, September 1 - Monday, September 6, 2021
Second Year Welcome is for the Class of 2024 and Transfer Students who started in Fall 2020 and Spring 2021.
Second Year Welcome will take place during Welcome Week 2021 (September 1-6). The Second Year Welcome is not required but strongly recommended for those who have not experienced campus.
Second Year Welcome Goals
- Teach you how to navigate campus
- Expose you to involvement opportunities and campus resources
- Create a comfortable environment that encourages you to ask questions
- Provide opportunities for social connections
- Assist you in transitioning to in-person classroom learning
- Reinforce academic support resources to enhance your success
- Wednesday, September 1: Pride & Spirit (where you will take the M photo)
- Thursday, September 2: Campus Tours, RecWell Open House, and Weeks of Welcome small group reunion time
- Friday, September 3: Campus Exploration Fair, Bus Tours, Engagement Sessions hosted by campus departments, and Student Events and Entertainment Showcase
- Saturday, September 4: Explore U (student group & vendor fair)
- Sunday, September 5 & Monday, September 6: Student Group Welcome Events
Students will be required to register in order to participate in the Second Year Welcome programs. Your Second Year Welcome Registration was sent to your University of Minnesota email address on July 19.
Moving In & Housing
We are working with Housing & Residential Life to offer early move-in to second-year students who will be living in the residence halls this fall. Students living in university apartments will be able to move-in in mid-August. You can find more information on the Housing & Residence Life webpage.
Meals will be provided during some specific events; more information about what meals will be provided will be available when you RSVP in mid-July.
Otherwise, plan to eat prior to attending Second Year Welcome events.
You are responsible for getting yourself to campus, where all events will take place.
- Walking- You will be walking a lot during Welcome Week (see Special Accommodations if you need assistance) be sure to wear appropriate footwear.
- Busing/Light Rail- If you’re purchasing a U-Pass for the semester, you’ll find it comes in handy during Welcome Week.
- Driving- If you drive to campus you can park for free in the East River Road Garage with a parking voucher you may pick up in 315 Coffman Union every day.
- Biking- Be sure you have a secure bike lock and helmet ready for your ride. Utilize bicycle parking and bike maps to bike around campus safely.
Learn more about commuting to campus and updates on construction from Parking & Transportation.
We value disability as an aspect of diversity and want to ensure that you are able to fully participate in all programming available to you. If you have a disability or health condition, or suspect you have one, and would like to have a confidential discussion about accommodations, please contact the Disability Resource Center (DRC) at 612-626-1333 or [email protected] as soon as possible. Some accommodations may take a few weeks to arrange.
If you have a short-term disability (i.e. broken leg) and would have difficulty walking long distances during Orientation, please contact the Orientation & Transition Experiences office for accommodations at 800-234-1979.
Mobility accommodations for Welcome Week can be indicated through Welcome Week Registration (available mid-July).
Vegetarian options will be available through all provided meals.
At this point in time, the Second Year Welcome is planned to be an in-person experience. Students should plan to participate in the Second Year Welcome September 1-6, 2021. As the University of Minnesota, State, and Federal guidelines are updated as part of Covid-19 response, we will adjust the Welcome Week program including the Second Year Welcome. We will keep students informed of any changes to the program.