Communication and Design Intern
The mission of Orientation & Transition Experiences is to provide quality transitional experiences that maximize students potential for personal and academic success. OTE communication is viewed by over 5,500 incoming freshmen, around 3,000 incoming transfer students, and approximately 6,000 parents of new students. We also design and print posters and publications shared around campus, design and print 17,000 copies of the Gopher Guide, and produce numerous electronic communication items (eNewsletter, social media, etc.) for all current freshmen and transfer students.
The Communication & Design Intern will assist with many projects related to new student orientation, Welcome Week, and other first-year programs. The ideal candidate should possess exceptional graphic design skills, a strong interest in communication strategy, and the desire to build on your experience as a communications professional.
- Offer support and assistance to professional staff through engagement in various projects.
- Pursuing an active role in managing and maintaining front desk operations, including answering phone calls.
- Supporting office initiatives and events related to the matriculation process.
- Balancing academic responsibilities with the requirements of the position.
The ideal candidate should possess exceptional graphic design skills, a strong interest in communication strategy, and the desire to build on your experience as a communications professional.
- Work closely with OTE staff to create and update various print communication items (posters, flyers, mailers, signage, T-shirts, calendars and other marketing materials)
- Develop concepts for first year, transfer, and other transition program branding; approved concepts are developed (iterative process) and applied to all communication items
- Assist Communications & Marketing Manager in creating and updating digital graphics for the OTE website, social media, electronic displays, mass emails, and mobile app guides
- Facilitate the production process: apply content from staff to design, submit to editor, make edits, submit for approval, and send files to printer
Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite design programs (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.)
- Experience designing for print and web, with a knowledge of CMYK vs. RGB
- Have a good understanding of all aspects of digital communications and social media
- Be able to quickly learn new things, particularly on the technical side
- Ability to work with professional staff to understand project needs, ask clarifying questions, and communicate regularly with team members
- Ability to juggle many projects, be a creative problem solver, be detailed and organized, and have a conceptual aptitude
- Positive attitude and eagerness to learn
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Must be a current University of Minnesota undergraduate student
Knowledge of U of M branding standards
- Experience with photography, video editing and motion graphics
- Familiarity with the Google (sites, groups, apps, etc.), Drupal, U Minnesota (Guidebook), MyU web portal, Salesforce Marketing Cloud (ExactTarget), and other electronic tools utilized by the U of M
- An interest in electronic communication (design and launch of email marketing campaigns, mobile apps, HTML, etc.)
- During the school year, the Communication & Design Intern will maintain a schedule of 10-20 hours per week. During the summer, hours will increase to 25-35 hours per week.
This position is no longer accepting applications.