Student Web Developer
The mission of Orientation & Transition Experiences (OTE) is to provide quality transitional experiences that maximize students' potential for personal and academic success. OTE serves over 5,500 incoming freshmen, around 3,000 incoming transfer students, and approximately 6,000 parents of new students.
The OTE Student Web Developer will assist with many technical projects related to New Student Orientation, Welcome Week, and other first-year programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- 30% Tool development, maintenance, and code re-engineering for existing web applications.
- 20% Development of new dynamic web pages and web applications
- 20% Regular content updates to existing dynamic applications
- 20% Other duties as assigned (for example: technical support of professional staff)
- 10% Server, database, and backup administration
- Current University of Minnesota student enrolled at least half-time (undergraduate student, 6 credits; graduate student, 3 credits)
- Must have web development experience using a server-side scripting language such as PHP, Python, or Ruby.
- Experience with some variety of SQL and writing complex queries directly or via active record
- Must have experience in dynamic website design with core web standards.
- Must be comfortable working in a Linux environment
- Must possess proofing and cross-browser debugging skills
- Drupal administration and development
- Experience with AJAX and/or JQuery
- Experience with the Apache web server
- Experience with Emacs, Vim, or equivalent
- Mercurial, Git, or other version control experience
Opportunity for Skill Development on the Job
Students will have the opportunity to be mentored by the OTE technical specialist, and will report to the assistant director of communication. Student will interact with many staff members in a professional business setting to help brainstorm technical solutions and educate end-users regarding current technical tools/solutions.
- Acknowledges when mistakes/missed deadlines occur and knows when supervisor should be alerted
- Adheres to basic policies, procedures, and understands staff roles
- Presents himself/herself in a friendly and professional manner
- Stay current on latest technical solutions
- Demonstrates ability to gather and analyze research and information
- Seeks instruction from supervisor and/or technical specialist
- Initiates requests for clarification of unclear tasks, procedures, or how to correct errors
- Demonstrates clear and effective communication with supervisors and team members
- Demonstrates good judgment on when to defer questions, complaints, and issues to supervisor
- We are currently not hiring for this position. If you have questions please contact Chelsea Garcia at email@example.com.
- Applicants must be full or part-time enrolled students in good academic and judicial standing