Transfer Student Leader (TSL)
*The Transfer Student Leader (TSL) position is not available for the summer of 2021. If you are interested in a similar opportunity to work with incoming students, please visit the Orientation Leader application page.
Transfer Student Leaders (TSLs) assist Orientation staff in leading Transfer Orientation and transfer welcome programs. In this role, TSLs answer questions and address concerns from transfer students and their guests, facilitate campus tours, participate in panel discussions, and host students and lead sessions during transfer welcome programs. By working in a team, TSLs develop invaluable leadership and communication experience.
If you have questions, contact email@example.com
TSLs will assist the OTE professional staff with Transfer Orientation and transfer welcome programs. They will:
- Address questions and concerns from transfer students’ and their guests
- Facilitate campus tours (East Bank, West Bank, and St. Paul)
- Participate in panel discussions and lead workshops
- Perform various duties as assigned throughout Transfer Orientation
- Host students and lead sessions during Welcome Week Transfer Track (Summer) and Transfer Welcome Day (January)
The minimum qualifications for TSLs are:
- Undergraduate transfer students
- 2.5 cumulative GPA and good disciplinary standing
- Knowledge of the U of M transfer process
- A positive attitude about the U of M transfer experience
- Willingness to learn and collaborate on a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Reliability, responsibility, maturity and a proven willingness to help new students
The ideal candidate has the ability to work with individuals from various backgrounds, is customer-service focused, has knowledge of the transfer process, is able to handle multiple tasks, can work in high stress situations, demonstrate flexibility, and has creative problem-solving skills.
What do past TSLs have to say about the position?
"Being a [TSL] has made the biggest impact on my experience here at the U. As a leader I have learned to step outside my comfort zone in order to help incoming transfer students feel at ease during their transition. Being a [TSL] is an unforgettable experience knowing the impact our team has on transfer students and working with a team that has become family." - Alex, 2019 TSL
|February 10, 2021||Application Due||11:59 p.m.|
|February 22-25, 2021||Interviews|
|July 7-10, 2021||Summer Training||9:00a.m.-7:00 p.m. daily|
July 13 - 23, 2021
September 1, 2021
|Transfer Orientation||Rotating Shifts between 7:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.|
|August 30-31, 2020||Welcome Week Transfer Track Training||TBD|
|September 1-4, 2021||Welcome Week Transfer Track||TBD|
Dates to be Determined
|Transfer Orientation||Rotating shifts between 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.|
|January, 2022||Transfer Welcome Day||TBD|