The Office Assistant plays a crucial role in our office. The responsibilities of this position include receptionist and information referral point for new students, parents, office staff and University departments.
The Office Assistant position reports directly to the Associate Director of Operations. This position supports Orientation & Transition Experiences by greeting and assisting guests of the office, professionally communicating with incoming students, parents, and campus contacts via email and telephone, maintaining office organization and cleanliness, and other duties as assigned. This position supports an office of 11 professional staff, approximately 30 student employees, approximately 30 student leaders, and nearly 450 student volunteers. This position will, in addition to the duties above, offer support in one of the following areas:
- Offer support and assistance to professional staff thorugh engagement in various projects
- Staying up-to-date with specific details of Orientation programming to communicate to students and families
- Pursuing an active role in managing and maintaining front desk operations, including answering phone calls
- Supporting office initiatives and events related to the matriculation process
- Balancing academic responsibilities with the requirements of the position
- Assisting with Orientation & Welcome Week logistics
- Self-motivated, adaptable, and dependable
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills and strategic thinking
- Excellent customer service skills
- Familiar with professional office environment
- Proven ability to communicate in a professional manner, both verbally and in-writing
- Strong aptitude for retaining detailed information
- Interest in helping new students and families transition to the University of Minnesota
- Willing to learn about the people, resources, services, opportunities, and policies at the University of Minnesota
- Enrolled full-time as an undergraduate student at the University of Minnesota and be in good academic standing
- Past Orientation & Transition Experiences student leader and/or employee
- Our office is open Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. during the school year and 7:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m. during the summer. Qualified candidates must be available to work within our office hours for at least 8 hours per week during the school year and at least 20 hours per week during the summer.
This position is no longer accepting applications.
The Operations Crew play a crucial role in our office by assisting the implementation of check-in and attendance management for the Welcome Week program. The Operations Crew serves as a valuable resource in assisting new students and their family members with the start of their transition experience and provides a first impression of the university.
To learn more about the position responsibilities, time commitments and compensation, please review the position description: operations_crew_2020.pdf
The ideal candidate:
- The ideal candidate demonstrates the following skills: taking initiative, punctuality, reliability, consistency, being approachable, positivity, friendliness, and has a pro-active customer service philosophy.
- This person has multitasking and strong organizational skills, and has a very strong aptitude for retention of detailed information.
- They have a team-oriented attitude, can demonstrate problem- solving skills, can adapt to changing situations and details.
- Display strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills and the potential to develop these skills.
- Enrolled full-time at the U, in good academic standing at the time of application and intend to be enrolled as a full-time student for Fall 2020.
August 10 - September 5
- Approximately 35-40 hours per week during the last two weeks of August. Schedule will be determined based on need by mid-August
We are currently accepting applications! Interested applicants should apply through OTE Leadership Application. We will begin to review applications during mid summer 2020 for employment beginning in early August.
The Student Transition Experience Interns are responsible for the development and implementation of programs and communications serving first-year, transfer and second-year students. Specific duties will be divided between both Student Transition Experience Interns. This position reports to the Coordinator of Student Transition Experiences, Michael Gonzalez.
The Student Transition Experience Interns are responsible for the development and implementation of programs and communications serving first-year, transfer and second-year students. Specific duties will be divided between both Student Transition Experience Interns. This position reports to the Coordinator of Student Transition Experiences.
Student Transition Experience Interns will be expected to assist with the following:
- Support the planning execution and evaluation of all student transition experiences within Orientation & Transition Experiences: At Home in MN, Transfer Student Network (Coffee Chats, Hangouts, etc)
- Plan, execute and evaluation programming for Living Learning Communities serving out-of-state students (At Home in MN), transfer students (Leaders in Transition), and second year students (Second-Year Experience).
- Assist with recruiting, hiring and training of Transfer Insiders (approx. 10 students) who serve as peer mentors for transfer students.
- Identify and develop timely content for the Class of 20XX eNewsletter, Transfer Insider emails, Transfer Student Engagement emails, communication to second-year students, and websites that serve all three populations.
- Engage first-year, transfer and second year students through social media efforts in “U of M Transfers”, “Class of 20XX” and “Second Year Experience” Facebook pages
- Maintain and document attendance records for all events.
- Assist with research efforts through evaluation and data analysis
- Communicate trends gathered from events, social media, research, etc with appropriate professional staff.
- Respond to questions and inquiries from students through management of specific email accounts.
- Support the Coordinator of Student Transition Experiences with other duties as related to the position.
Work Schedule and Terms of Employment
Student Transition Experiences Interns are paid at an hourly rate of $11.50. It is expected that 10-12 hours/week are worked during the academic year with flexible hours between 8:00am-4:30pm. This position is eligible to stay employed through the following Academic Year based on performance and interest.
Interested in applying?
Please complete the OTE Collaborative Leadership Application. Applicants will be prompted to submit copy of Fall schedule, resume, and statement of interest/cover letter.
Be sure to check “Student Transitions Experiences Intern” box in the application
Applications will close July 14, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CST.
Questions should be sent to Coordinator of Student Transition Experiences, Michael Gonzalez (firstname.lastname@example.org).