Event Staff Captain
Position Title: Event Staff Captain
Positions Available: 2
Work Days and Hours:
- Prep: August 13-17, 20-25 hours
- Event Staff Training & Work Week: August 20-24, 20-25 hours
- Welcome programs: August 27 – September 3, 40 hours
- Wrap-up: September 4-7, 5 hours
This position manages the Event Staff team through providing leadership, offering direction and ensuring the success of Welcome Week (serving freshman & transfer students) from behind the scenes. Two captains will be hired. This position will act as a team of Event Staff Captains that will manage the Event Staff and Welcome Week Headquarters together. Specific duties and shifts will be divided between the Event Staff Captains.
Event Staff Captain will be expected to assist with the following specific tasks:
- Manage 15-20 Event Staff members
- Collaborate with other student leader staff such as Student Program Coordinators, Student Interns, and Orientation Program Assistants
- Coordinate and manage staff training, schedules, apparel, and meals
- Manage daily signage inventory process
- Manage supply assembly and inventory process
- Maintain daily operations of Welcome Week headquarters
- Create and manage an inventory system for Welcome Week
- Manage entrance and scanning of students into Welcome Week events
- Manage the collection, organization and scanning of attendance into database
- Maintain professionalism when working with students, WWLs, and other staff
- Manage Welcome Week Hotline
- Ability to lead by example and serve in a shared leadership/supervisory role amongst peers.
- Attention to detail and follow through.
- Ability to create a fun work environment, even in stressful moments.
- Ability to communicate the status of projects with Event Staff Captain partner(s) to ensure proper follow through and completion of tasks.
- Must be available to work during the dates listed above in the section titled “Work Days and Hours”
- Demonstrate responsibility in maintaining a work schedule
- Must be in good academic standing (at, or above a 2.50 GPA)
- Past OFYP student leader and/or employee.
- Be moved into fall housing no later than August 13, 2018
The mission of Orientation & Transition Experiences is to provide quality transitional experiences that maximize student’s potential for personal and academic success. Visit ote.umn.edu for more information.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to Evan Witt at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.